CU faces first road test at Lubbock Christian
November 16, 2018
Cameron University Athletics
Kenton Means – Sports Information Director
LAWTON, Okla. – The Cameron men’s basketball team will face their first road test of the season on Saturday as they visit Lubbock Christian for the first game of a home-and-home series.
1. Cameron opened up the season with a 1-1 record in the Heartland/Lone Star Conference Challenge, beating Newman 103-69 and falling to Oklahoma Christian 85-79.
2. Freshman Dalton Vinson averaged a double-double in CU’s opening weekend, recording 15 points and 11 rebounds against NU and 11 points and 10 boards in the game against OC.
3. After starting the season 2-0 against receiving votes Colorado School of Mines and No. 18 Regis, Lubbock Christian fell to No. 4 West Texas A&M 82-70 on Thursday.
4. Brennan Fowler was named the Heartland Conference Player of the Week on Monday, after averaging 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds against CSUM and RU; he followed that up with 21 points and 10 boards against WT.
5. In their lone meeting a year ago, the Chaps came away victorious over CU, winning 81-78 behind Isaac Asrat’s 23 points; Tyus Momoh and Zach Dumas each scored in double-figures for the Black and Gold.
About the Aggies:
Cameron averaged 91 points in their first two games of the season while going 1-1. They shot 42.9 percent from the floor and 40.5 percent from three-point range. CU also went 59-83 from the free throw line and averaged 40.5 boards, 13 assists, 10 steals, and two blocks in the two game span.
Dumas leads the Aggies with 16.5 points per game, while Johann Tate is averaging 15, Vinson has 13, and Momoh is scoring 12.5 per contest. Momoh also leads the Black and Golf with 11 assists and five steals on the season.
Scouting the Chaps:
In their first three games, Lubbock Christian has averaged 67.7 points while giving up 67.3 to their opponents. They are also shooting 45.8 percent from the floor, 35.9 percent from the perimeter and 62.7 percent at the charity stripe. Additionally, the Chaps have recorded just eight total steals and four blocks in three contests, while averaging 36 rebounds and 10 assists.
Fowler leads LCU with 19.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game, shooting over 57 percent from the field and 73.7 percent from the free throw line. Ja’Qualyn Gilbreath and Silas Crisler each average nine points, and Asrat has scored eight points per contest.
The Aggies will be back at home on Tuesday, Nov. 20 as they host Dallas Baptist, before making the trip north to Weatherford, Okla. to take on Southwestern Oklahoma on Saturday, Nov. 24.
Sports Information Director – Cameron University
2800 W. Gore Blvd., South Shepler 512
Lawton, OK 73505
Office – (580) 581-2303
Cell – (580) 583-2210
Fax – (580) 581-5537