Cameron welcomes UAFS to the Aggie Gym
November 26, 2018
Cameron University Athletics
Kenton Means – Sports Information Director
LAWTON, Okla. — The Cameron men’s basketball team is set to host Arkansas-Fort Smith for their final non-conference tune-up before beginning Lone Star Conference play later this week.
1. Senior Zach Dumas was named the Lone Star Conference Player of the Week on Monday after averaging 24 points last week against Dallas Baptist and Southwestern Oklahoma State last week.
2. Cameron leads the LSC and is top-10 in Division II in free throws made (124) and free throws attempted (172).
3. Arkansas-Fort Smith went 0-2 at the UAFS Thanksgiving Classic last week, falling to Ouachita Baptist and No. 5/10 Southern Nazarene.
4. Senior guard Chris Crawford, leads the team and is second in the Heartland Conference with 19.1 points per contest, ranking top-5 in DII in free throws made and attempted.
5. This is the first recorded matchup between Cameron and UAFS since the 1961-62 season.
About the Aggies:
Cameron is now 2-3 on the season, after last week’s win against DBU and loss to SWOSU. They are averaging 83.6 points per game, while allowing the opposition to score 82.6 against them. As a team, CU is shooting 41.6 percent from the floor, 38.3 percent from the perimeter, and 72.1 percent from the free throw line. They are also averaging 11.6 assists compared to 12.4 turnovers per game.
Dumas leads the team and the conference with 19.4 points per game, shooting over 89 percent from the charity stripe. Tyus Momoh is second on the team with 11.8 points per contest, while averaging a CU-best 4.8 assists and 2.4 steals. Additionally, Johann Tate is also averaging over 10 points per game (11.6), while freshman Dalton Vinson leads the team with six boards per outing.
Scouting the Lions:
UAFS enters the first of two games against the Aggies this season with a 3-4 record; two of their three wins came against fellow LSC opponent Midwestern State. They own a scoring margin of +2.4, scoring 76.4 points per contest and giving up 74.0 to their opposition. The Lions are shooting 41.2 percent from the floor, 36.8 percent from three, and 75.3 percent from the charity stripe.
While Crawford leads the team with 19.1 points per game, Tyler William is second on the squad with an average of 12.9 points, David Ward averages 12.4, and Seth Hawley scores 12.3 per game. Crawford also has a team best 33 assists on the year, as Matt Morgan leads the team with 39 rebounds and 17 blocks.
The Aggies kick off Lone Star Conference play later this week as they travel to take on West Texas A&M on Thursday, Nov. 29 and then Eastern New Mexico on Saturday, Dec. 1.
Sports Information Director – Cameron University
2800 W. Gore Blvd., South Shepler 512
Lawton, OK 73505
Office – (580) 581-2303
Cell – (580) 583-2210
Fax – (580) 581-5537