Aggies set to take on DBU and SWOSU this week
November 19, 2018
Cameron University Athletics
Kenton Means – Sports Information Director
LAWTON, Okla. – Cameron men’s basketball has a pair of games slated for Thanksgiving week, as they host Dallas Baptist on Tuesday, Nov. 20 and then travel to take on Southwestern Oklahoma State on Saturday, Nov. 24.
G1) Cameron vs. Dallas Baptist | Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. | Aggie Gym | Live Stats | Live Video
G2) Cameron at Southwestern Oklahoma | Nov. 24 at 3 p.m. | Weatherford, Okla. | Live Stats | Live Audio
1. Cameron’s Student Athlete Advisory Committee is hosting a food drive during the women’s basketball game on Nov. 19 and the men’s basketball game on Nov. 20; they ask that you bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the Lawton Food Bank.
2. The Aggies are coming off a 75-67 loss at Lubbock Christian on Saturday; Zach Dumas led the team with 16 points and Tyus Momoh had 14 points, eight rebounds, four assists, and three steals.
3. Dallas Baptist has averaged 97.5 points during their last two contests, shooting over 56 percent from the floor and 50 percent from the perimeter in both games.
4. Despite scoring 84 points in their first two outings, Southwestern Oklahoma is 0-2, giving up an average of 104 points to their opposition.
5. The Aggies split with these two teams last season, losing 85-79 at DBU and beating SWOSU 71-62 at home; Johann Tatehad 18 points against the Patriots and Dumas had 18 against the Bulldogs.
About the Aggies:
With their loss to LCU, Cameron is now 1-2 on the season. They are averaging 83 points per contest, while shooting 41.7 percent from the field as a team, and 33.3 percent from the perimeter. CU does not turn the ball over a lot, recording just 11.3 giveaways per contest, and does a good job of getting the ball away from their opponent with an average of 10 steals per game.
Dumas has had a strong start to his senior campaign, leading CU with 16.3 points per game, while Momoh is not far behind him, averaging 13 points. Momoh also leads the Black and Gold with 15 assists and eight steals, while freshman Dalton Vinson leads the team with 7.7 rebounds to go along with 9.3 points per outing; Momoh is second on the squad with five boards per contest. Additionally, Tate has averaged 10.7 points through three games for CU, going 11-13 from the charity stripe.
Scouting the Patriots:
After losing to Colorado Mesa in their first game of the season, Dallas Baptist has gone 3-0, winning a one-point game over Colorado Christian and then blowing out both Howard Payne and Ouachita Baptist. While averaging 90.3 points per outing, the Patriots are shooting 51.3 percent from the floor, 43.9 percent from long range, and 76.8 percent from the free throw line. They also average 17.3 assists and turn the ball over just 11.3 times per contest.
Five DBU players are scoring in double-figures through four games, with JT Harris leading the team with 16.5 points per game, shooting 54.8 percent from the floor, and Carson Hughes chipping in an average of 13.8 points. Additionally, Chandler Jacobs had a huge game against Ouachita, scoring 28 points on 8-10 shooting from the field while hitting all eight of his free throw attempts.
Scouting the Bulldogs:
Southwestern Oklahoma started out the 2018-19 season with a 95-86 loss to Northeastern State and a 114-82 loss to Central Oklahoma; they will play Rogers State on Tuesday before hosting CU. Offense has not been their problem, shooting over 52 percent from the floor and 42.2 percent from three, but they have struggled at the line, making just 19 of 45 attempts. SWOSU has also averaged 17.5 turnovers per contest, and are losing the rebounding margin to their opponents by 8.5.
Trey Evans had a strong 21-point outing against NSU, but did not play against UCO. Jamar Sandifer is averaging 16 points and five rebounds in two games, while Chris Braggs Jr. is scoring 13.5 points per game after a 17-point night against the Bronchos.
Cameron will have host Arkansas-Fort Smith for a mid-week tune-up on Tuesday, Nov. 27, before kicking off Lone Star Conference play on the road at West Texas A&M on Nov. 29 and Eastern New Mexico on Dec. 1.