CU set to host No. 21 Lions
October 21, 2018
Cameron University Athletics
Kenton Means - Sports Information Director
LAWTON, Okla. – The Aggie volleyball team faces a tough task on Tuesday, as they host the No. 21 ranked Texas A&M-Commerce Lions for a mid-week contest.
- Cameron snapped a 14 match losing streak with their 3-1 win over UT Permian Basin last Friday, which was also their first Lone Star Conference win of the season.
- CU had a season-high 16 blocks in their 3-1 loss to Western New Mexico on Saturday, with Jazmin Luster and Brandy Carreach chipping in seven rejections.
- Senior libero Brittnee Altic is now just 59 digs away from being the eighth recorded player in program history to notch 1,000 digs for their career.
- Texas A&M-Commerce enters the contest with CU on a three match winning streak and in second in the LSC Standings with a 12-3 league mark.
- The Lions are ranked top-5 in the nation in total kills and assists, and are led by Celeste Vela who has recorded five triple-doubles in 2018.
About the Aggies:
- Cameron is now 3-22 overall this season and 1-14 in league contests after splitting last weekend's matches.
- The Aggies are third in the conference with 2.12 blocks per set and 210 total blocks, which is good for 19th best in Division II.
- Paige Dixon now sits at a team best 244 kills, while Carr has 178 and freshman Shantalle Demirjian has 150.
- Katherine Manning surpassed the 500 assist mark and averages 5.22 per set, while Bailee Smith and Kirsten Evans each average over three assists per set.
Scouting the Lions:
- Texas A&M-Commerce is 20-5 on the season and 12-3 in LSC matches, which has them ranked No. 21 in the AVCA Poll.
- TAMUC averages a league best 13.2 assists and 14.0 kills per set while attacking at a .224 percentage.
- The Wacker sisters, Jaslyn and Jaryn, lead the team with a combined 480 kills, while Shelly Chapron is right behind them with 228 of her own and Bina Nijkam and Vela also have over 200 kills.
- Vela, who has the second most triple-doubles in the conference, averages 4.28 assists, 2.24 kills, and 2.06 digs per set, while Rylie Fuentes owns the team lead in assists with 509.
- Cameron will travel to face the other two of the top-3 teams in the LSC as they take on Angelo State on Friday, Oct. 26 and Tarleton State on Saturday, Oct. 27.
Sports Information Director - Cameron University
2800 W. Gore Blvd., South Shepler 512
Lawton, OK 73505
Office – (580) 581-2303
Cell – (580) 583-2210
Fax – (580) 581-5537